We all deal with stressors in our daily lives that make it difficult to relax and really enjoy ourselves. Stress has been defined as "any factor that threatens the health of the body or has an adverse affecton its functioning." To appreciate what that really means to us as individuals, we have to take a moment and think about what it is that causes our stressors.
Ask yourself these questions and write your thoughts down actually committing your thoughts to writing is the magic that enables action.
- What is stressful to me?
- How does stress affect me?
- When am I most vulnerable to stress?
- When is stress good for me?
Did you know that "awareness creates the space where choice exists." So! when you become more aware of what contributes to the stress in your life, you allow yourself to make better decisions that will help minimize the impact. Stress is often fuelled by worry brought on by focusing on irrational fears and limiting beliefs about what is to come. That means, we are signing up to suffer in advance What's the point? When you feel that happening, focus on what makes you feel GOOD instead? Fun is a great counter-balance to stress for both mental and physical well-being. Start by watching Michael Bungay Stainier's Video and learn about the 8 irresistible principles of fun:
The Eight Irresistible Principles of Fun
1. Get focused: Stop hiding who you really are. It's important to understand who you are and what you're all about. Then, let it shine!
2.Consider yourself: Start being intensely selfish. Don't waste your time on anything other than what is most important to you.
3. Kick the Status Quo Habit: Stop following the rules. It's no longer about what you can't do; it's about what you can do.
4. Remove your training wheels: Start scaring yourself. Explore the edges; seek out an adventure.
5. Use your wisdom: Stop taking it all so damn seriously. Lighten up